Profound Medical Corp., a commercial-stage medical device company, announced that the American Medical Association (AMA) has established three new Current Procedural Terminology (CPT®) Category 1 codes for the TULA Procedure, a treatment performed using Profound’s TULSA-PRO® system.
The upcoming edition of the CPT® Codebook will feature three new Category 1 codes and their respective descriptions, encompassing the TULSA Procedure. These codes are scheduled to become effective on January 1, 2025.
What Is the TULSA Procedure?
An acronym for ‘Transurethral Ultrasound Ablation’, the TULSA Procedure involves inserting a device into the urethra (transurethral), which delivers the ultrasound energy toward the prostate. This device rotates within the urethra, creating an uninterrupted, focused heating pattern that extends outward in a directional manner toward the edge of the specified prostate area.
Malignant and benign prostate tissues are precisely ablated through an “inside-out” approach, using the directional ultrasound energy originating from within the urethra, which resides within the prostate. This unique inside-out approach to treating prostate disease characterizes the TULSA Procedure, ensuring it is non-invasive, as it does not transmit ultrasound energy through the rectal wall or other surrounding anatomy before reaching the prostate tissue.
Of all procedures for prostate diseases, the TULSA Procedure stands alone in its utilization of real-time guidance to consistently regulate the energy dosage. This capability empowers your physician to observe, in real-time, the precise developments within your prostate in a highly controlled and predictable manner.
What AMA’s CPT® Category 1 Code Status Means for the TULSA Procedure
The American Medical Association’s (AMA) CPT® Editorial Panel for Category 1 Codes is a group responsible for overseeing and maintaining the Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) code set. The CPT code set is a widely used system in the United States for reporting medical, surgical, and diagnostic services provided by healthcare professionals.
The CPT® Editorial Panel helps ensure that codes are comprehensive, precise, and up-to-date, which is essential for accurate billing, coding, and reimbursement in healthcare. Their work plays a crucial role in facilitating communication among healthcare providers, payers, and other stakeholders in the healthcare system.
Here’s what it means for TULSA user physicians and patients moving forward:
- Increased Adoption – Establishing permanent CPT® codes for the TULSA procedure could result in broader adoption of the technology to treat prostate diseases in the U.S. The recognition and support from the AMA might provide credibility and validation for the procedure, increasing its acceptance among physicians.
- Flexible Collaboration – Creating multiple codes, some describing the complete TULSA procedure and others describing parts of the procedure, allows for greater flexibility. It allows physicians to perform the entire procedure independently or collaborate with another physician and be reimbursed for their part of the service.
- Reimbursement – The new CPT® codes will enable comprehensive billing for the TULSA Procedure, including multiple locations of service and physician payment. Until these codes become effective in 2025, hospitals can continue to use the previously established HCPCS C code, C9734, for billing facility charges. As of January 1, 2023, the national average Medicare payment to a hospital under this code has been increased to $13,048. This can ensure that hospitals are adequately compensated for the procedure, thus encouraging more hospitals to offer it.
- Physician Support – The TULSA procedure CPT application was submitted without the direct involvement of Profound Medical, indicating strong physician support. This could promote further confidence in the procedure among medical practitioners.
Learn More About the TULSA Procedure
If you’re curious about this groundbreaking approach to prostate care, now is the time to take action. Explore the potential benefits, safety, and outcomes of the TULSA Procedure for yourself or a loved one. Browse our resources below to learn more – your journey to knowledge and better health begins here:
- About the TULSA Procedure
- The Benefits & Risks of the TULSA Procedure
- How It Works
- Patient Testimonials
- What Happens During the TULSA Procedure?
- Frequently Asked Questions
Sep 22, 2023 | TULSA Procedure