The TULSA Procedure is an advanced treatment option for prostate conditions and, while the technical and medical aspects are impressive, the real impact is seen in the stories of the patients who undergo this treatment.
It’s their journey, from diagnosis to recovery, that truly showcases the transformative power of this procedure, offering hope and a new lease on life.
Paul’s Story Before TULSA Procedure
Paul’s battle with prostate disease began when his blood work came back with an elevated PSA number.
After discussing the next course of action with his doctor and going through all of the possible side effects, Paul decided on the TULSA Procedure, as it has a minimal amount of potential side effects.
Paul says, “Looking at all the different treatment options for me, the TULSA Procedure was only the right procedure.”
The Benefits of the TULSA Procedure on Paul’s Health
Before the TULSA Procedure, Paul stated his PSA levels measured 8.5 – 8.7. After receiving treatment, his PSA levels are down to 0.9. He expresses that the biggest benefit of the TULSA Procedure is that it is the latest treatment available with the minimum amount of side effects.
For many patients, the TULSA Procedure offers several benefits:
- Incision-free – It is a less invasive treatment option for prostate cancer compared to traditional surgery.
Precise Targeting – TULSA uses focused ultrasound waves to precisely target and destroy diseased tissue, minimizing damage to surrounding healthy tissue.
- Reduced Side Effects: Patients typically experience fewer side effects, such as incontinence and erectile dysfunction, compared to other treatments.
- Shorter Recovery Time – Recovery time is usually shorter, allowing patients to return to their daily activities sooner.
- Improved Quality of Life – The procedure can significantly improve a patient’s quality of life by effectively ablating diseased tissue while preserving vital prostate functions.
- Personalized Treatment – TULSA can be tailored to each patient’s specific needs, offering a customized approach to treatment.
- Outpatient Procedure – In many cases, TULSA can be performed on an outpatient basis, reducing the need for hospitalization.
What the Procedure Entails
During the delivery stage, the ultrasound applicator (UA) is inserted into the urethra and delivers the ultrasound energy from the inside-out. As the device rotates, it creates a sweeping pattern, traveling outwards towards the edge of the targeted prostate area, and ablates the prostate tissue. This process is referred to as an ‘inside-out’ approach because the directional ultrasound energy comes from the urethra located inside the prostate.
- Preparation – Before the procedure, you will meet the treatment team, including a treating physician and a Radiology Technologist. Your team will make sure you are comfortable before sedation.
- Planning – Your treating physician will use high-precision MR imaging to draw the boundary lines around the areas of your prostate that will be ablated. Boundary lines are drawn out to avoid critical structures around the prostate. This step is tailored to your prostate size, shape, and disease.
- Delivery – The TULSA-PRO system automatically carries out the ablation instructions outlined by the physician, ablating only within the prescribed boundary lines. This helps ensure precise prostate ablation and minimizes the risk of human error.
- Confirmation – Using MR imaging, your treating physician will confirm that the intended areas of the prostate have been successfully ablated. After the procedure, you will be monitored briefly and patients can typically leave the same day.
The ability to ablate from the inside-out avoids direct contact with important neurovascular bundles (NVBs), minimizing damage to surrounding tissues and structures and helping to preserve men’s functional abilities. Your physician can see in real time what is happening as the procedure takes place within an MRI suite, resulting in a very controlled and predictable environment. The TULSA Procedure also actively cools the urethra and rectum reducing the risk of damaging these vital structures.
Life After the TULSA Procedure
After the treatment, life has returned to normal for Paul, granting him the chance to refocus on his life post-prostate cancer. Thanks to the TULSA Procedure, Paul has been able to embrace a normal, fulfilling life without the burden of treatment-related side effects. His bladder function remains unaffected, allowing him the freedom to go about his daily activities without any disruptions. He is able to maintain a sex life, a testament to the procedure’s ability to preserve essential prostate functions.
The TULSA Procedure not only provided oncological control for Paul but also provided him with the gift of a seamless and symptom-free recovery, enabling him to enjoy his life to the fullest.
Find Out If the TULSA Procedure is Right For You
In the journey with prostate disease, the TULSA Procedure stands as a remarkable option that has brought positive changes to countless lives. While Paul’s story is one of success, it’s important to remember that the suitability of the TULSA Procedure can vary from person to person.
To determine if it’s the right choice for you, consult with your doctor. They can evaluate your individual circumstances, discuss your options, and help you make an informed decision about your prostate disease treatment journey.
Your path to recovery and the potential for a life free of treatment-related side effects begins with that crucial first step: seeking expert guidance to ensure the most suitable treatment option tailored to your unique needs.
Nov 2, 2023 | TULSA Procedure